Its that time of the year again – The Annual Appraisal Time when an employee’s performance evaluation is done.. You are rated for your work, efforts and contributions in line with your objective for the year. While the process is a mandatory part of most organizations, it is also a good time for you to do a self-review, reflection and evaluation on your own career goals and performance – Honestly – Just for YOURSELF! And what is key would be to asses your career performance and career growth w.r.t your own professional aspirations and ambitions.
One question that I find extremely useful to ask myself is “What’s my Value Quotient (VQ)?” – Or in simple words “What is the UNIQUE VALUE that I bring to the TABLE at work“? – And value can really translate into anything that helps an individual employee deliver his / her responsibilities and perform in line / beyond expectations to help achieve an organization’s objectives – So it could be knowledge (Subject Matter expertise – Technology, Business Domain, Finance, etc.), Specific skills (communication, negotiation, Building and nurturing relationships, Expectation management, etc.), Professional networks, personal brand, etc. etc.
Food for Thought
* What is your Value Quotient (VQ) , i.e., What is the “UNIQUE VALUE” that you bring to the table at work? Can you write it in 1-3 sentences
* Has this value “INCREASED” in comparison to last year? – in your own assessment
* Has this value “INCREASED” in comparison to last year? – in your organization’s assessment
* Will these “parameters” be of VALUE to you 3 – 5 years from now?
* Will these “parameters” be of VALUE to your organization 3 – 5 years from now?
* What can you do to “enhance your VALUE” in the next 1 year?
* What can you do to enhance the perception of your VALUE in the next 1 year?