2008 was the year I entered the blog-o-sphere; primarily as an avid blog reader. In 2009, I created my first blogs in which I used to write occasionally – Of course, it was private. In 2010, I shared my blogs with my inner network of friends and family; and received very encouraging feedback. After this initial response, my blogs went public in 2010 and so started my blogging journey.
Its 2013 now – Almost 3 years since I embarked on my blogging journey. During this journey, I have published 1000+ posts [Average of 1 post / day] on my own blogs (public, restricted and private), and have published several guest posts in site of global repute on a diverse set of topics.
So after 3 years of blogging – Am I any wiser?
Well, I’m sharing some of the most important lessons of my blogging journey in this post.
(1) If you’re wondering why should blog. Here are the AEIOU reasons
- Blogging increase your AWARENESS
- Blogging enhances your own EXPRESSIONS
- Blogging compels you to INTROSPECT
- Blogging makes you OBSERVE
- Blogging enables you to UNDERSTAND
For full details, refer my post on AEIOU reasons for you to blog
(2) Writing on a blog helps you learn and discover more about yourself – Let me just say, you re-discover yourself and re-connect with yourself in ways which you could never have imagined
(3) Regularly writing on your blog is a great way to express yourself, your thoughts, your creativity, your views, your perspective, your ideas, your opinions, your experiences – if nothing else, it does wonders for your overall state of well-being (emotional and intellectual)
(4) Blogging is a “creative process”. Take the time to understand the process. It is worthwhile in the long run
(5) Blogging helps you to create new relationships and there is beauty in blogging relationships
(6) Guest Blogging is a great way to challenge yourself and extend the reach of your writings. The learning’s and connections you make in the process is invaluable. Here’s a summary of what Guest Blogging taught me
(7) Blogging has the potential to open new doors and possibilities – More than you can dream, think or imagine. Here’s a post I wrote on “OK You Write a Blog – So what Next?”
(8) Regular Blogging helps build and enhance your own self-discipline. And self-discipline is a great virtue to build in today’s day and age.
(9) Starting a blog is easy, but continuing to blog for years is a challenge for many. One of the key reasons is because every blogger runs out of ideas to blog. And for this, it is important to read continuously, and to wear the 6 Thinking Hats on your blog and to Focus on Diversity on your blog ; constantly challenge yourself to do new things on your blog. Be creative and sky is the limit to how long you can blog! For e.g.: Do reviews, interviews, curate great content, share interesting quotes, etc.
(9) Blogging can help you share your thoughts and views through interviews and alternate mediums for a larger reach. Check one of my first interviews focused around Blogging
(10) Every blog has a Hype Cycle. Be aware of it and spend time in understand this hype cycle
(11) There are only 3 Types of Blogs which a reader will really remember. If you want to make a mark in the blogging world, ask yourself if you’re doing any of these?
- Blogs from which YOU LEARN
- Blogs which make YOU THINK
- Blogs which TOUCH YOUR HEART
(12) Practice the 65:20:15 Mantra for every blog post.
- 65% of your time should go towards Blog Content
- 20% of your time should go towards Blog Marketing
- 15% of your time should go towards Blog Reader Engagement (after the post is published)
(13) Having an Editorial Calendar helps any blogger to be regular and disciplined about blogging efforts
(14) Blogging is a journey; Not a destination. Enjoy the journey
(15) To Keep at Blogging, here’s what you need
- New Life experiences
- Passion for writing
And all the above are vital in the journey of life as well. So why not consciously invest in these by starting your blogging journey today?
On that note, Happy Blogging! Give Blogging a chance today..
Who knows how it will change your life!