A while back I had written a post titled “What is your personal legacy?”. The post was well received and shared in good numbers on all Social Media networks, and also generated some interesting discussions and conversations – Both online and offline.
But after the post was published, I felt something was incomplete in my post. I couldn’t really put a finger on what, but I knew that I had missed something. During one such pensive and quiet moment, I got it!
Looking around me, I realized that a vast majority of us spend significant amount of our daily time online – especially on Social Media platforms [Twitter, Facebook, Blogs, Pinterest, etc]. So would it not be relevant to plan to leave a legacy of your Social Media presence? Or in other words – Your very own Social Media Legacy?
After all, bottom line “Social Media” is really about 3 things:
1) Knowledge / Collective Knowledge / Wisdom / Collective Wisdom – of an individual / community / world at large
2) Thoughts / Ideas which stem from confusion, consciousness, creativity, co-relation, collaboration, comprehension – of an individual / community / world at large
3) Interactions / Communities / Relationships and Networks – between individuals / communities / world at large
10 or possibly 50 years from now, one’s “Social Media Legacy” will be an integral (even legally perhaps) and important part of one’s personal legacy.
So if you’re wondering what exactly you’re Social Media Legacy could comprise of. Here are a few examples:
- A Blog – Which is really a canvas for words. Words which stem from dreams, thoughts, observations, analysis, learning’s, conversations, view-points, outlook, views, emotions, perspectives, achievements, mistakes, failures, lessons learnt, comprehensions, experiences and conclusions. And that sums up the lives of most of us, doesn’t it?
Would it not be worthwhile to share such a memoir as a part of your personal legacy?
- A Twitter profile – Which is really be a collection of thoughts, observations, viewpoints, perspectives, interesting data / facts / figures / news / quotes / articles / compilations / readings..
Would it not be worthwhile to share such a collection as a part of your personal legacy?
- A Pinterest Board – Which is really a compilation of world-class / interesting / favorite pictures or photos on a specific topic(s) of personal interest.
Would it not be worthwhile to share such a compilation as a part of your personal legacy?
Whom you leave your Social Media Legacy for is a personal choice. And how much they will value it, only time will tell
But here’s what’s important – If you are serious about leaving behind a Social Media Legacy, plan for it today; and work objectively on it in the years to come. After all, you are spending so much time on a daily basis on Social Media channels, so is it not worthwhile to channelize your efforts in a structured way?
Hopefully, sometime in the future (say 10, 20 or 50 years from now), you would have built a rich Social Media Estate. One which will be of value to the next generation!
On that note, Good Luck in creating your Social Media Legacy!
Do you think your Social Media Legacy will be an integral part of your personal legacy sometime in the future? Leave a comment to let me know…