Social Media is everywhere. In the morning news, in the paper, in the bus / train / car, in the clothes, in the phones, in the here and there and everywhere. Almost everyone I know thinks Social Media is the new age God / Goddess if you will. The mantra (or myth) is that if one embraces Social Media, then it is one step in the right direction, specially in a business context.
And yet, so many companies make some very fundamental social media mistakes. So what are those mistakes that i’ve heard or seen. Are you making them too? Read below to figure it out
(1) I hear about Social Media buzz, I sparingly use Twitter / FaceBook, I can speak about Social Media without sounding like a fool.. BUT I don’t REALLY UNDERSTAND Social Media. Please go take a Social Media 101 class
(2) I’m sure Social is key for my business because everyone else is doing Social. Really? Please re-think
(3) I’m sure that Social Media Marketing would be effective for my business, but I’m not really sure who my customers are and if they are active on Social Media. Really? Go check how you’re making money. Once you know your customers, ask / find about their social media presence
(4) I don’t know if Social Media is right for my business. Read the article on How to determine which Social media fits your business
(5) I don’t really know what and how to measure on Social Media. Go figure
(6) I need to hire a very social person to handle my Social Media business. No! Virtual social is very different from the real-world social, and they can be at two ends of the spectrum
(7) Social Media Marketing is free. No! It takes time and Time is money, remember?
(8) Spending lots of time on social media means I’m doing it right. Quantity and Quality are two different things right?
(9) Social Media Marketing is about putting someone all the time on Social media. Oh! No not really! They should be doing the right things on social
(10) It is better to be in Social Media and do something than not be on Social Media. Hmm.. Well debatable! But if you’re there, you better do something right. If you get it all wrong, then you’re better off not attempting Social