A few days ago, I was an invited speaker for a session on “Making your NETWORK your NETWORTH“. It was a pleasure and honor to be on the stage, interact with an esteemed panel and connect with an interesting and diverse audience – at different stages and phases of their career trajectory.
The event will be memorable for me for a few reasons:
- It was one of the opportunities which came my way purely due to my writing / social media connections!
- It was interesting to hear the narratives of many diverse individuals and what they endure on a daily basis to keep their life and career going!
- It was one of the times when I have taken online relationships to the real-world!
Everyone will agree that Networking is important, is powerful and can be a real game-changer as one navigates their career and life. Some of the key points I made at the event are below:
- Be clear on why you want to network – Simply because in today’s day and age, it is so easy to connect with a zillion people – especially on social media. If you don’t know why you are forming connections, there is only so much value you can derive from those connections
- Plan and Prioritize based on your context and circumstances – The value you can get from networking relationships varies based on the phase of life / career you are in and the workplace environment you belong to (startup, corporate, etc.). So plan and prioritize on the networks you’d like to build based on your context
- Invest your time and energy – Any networking relationship is like a sapling. It needs to be nurtured. You need to give them time and energy – in terms of ideas, inputs, conversations, comments, experiences, thoughts, connections, solutions, catalysts, face-time, etc. The strength of networks is almost always linked to how much you invest in them. More the investments, more the returns!
- Be prepared to Give – All networking relationships are based on ‘Give and Take’. If you expect to leverage your networks for personal / professional interests, be prepared to also be leveraged by others. So you get as much as you give!
As I sign off, I leave you with the many ways in which networking can help any individual.
Connect with me on Nischala’s Social World
Columnist / Byline in : Economic Times | Huffingtonpost | Wipro | NewsCred | Marketo| Finextra | Inc42 | Business2Community | ProBlogger | Famous Bloggers | TheNextWomen |Nasscom | PaulWriter | WomensWeb | Sheroes | PeopleMatters| YoWoTo | 12Most.com | Parentous | The Change Blog
Blog : Nischala’s Space, Thoughts, Expressions [Featured in Top Marketing Blogs in India, Directory of Top Indian Blogs and Most Widely read Indian Bloggers,Directory of Best Indian Blogs, Alltop]
Twitter : @nimu9 [Featured among Must Follow Indian Women on Twitter (2014) ,50 Indian Women to follow on Twitter (2012)]
Interviews and Media Mentions
Newspaper Interview | Twittering Heights (Deccan Chronicle, 2015)
Quoted in “Open Letter to Women looking for job”
Quoted in “The Best Advice you’ll receive as young women starting your careers”
Interview | My blogging journey – How it came to be?
Interview | A wise Blogger
Interview | Secrets to Successful Blogging
Quoted in “Are entrepreneurs born or made?”